29 November 2019
The Rhine waterfall (Rheinfall) at Schaffhausen, or rather Neuhausen, was at the time called “Grosses Lauffen”. The castle (Schloss Laufen) still bears this name. The first mention was in 858.
The castle was the ancestral seat of the Lords of Laufen, but over the centuries it had many owners, including the Bishop of Constance, the All Saints’ Convent in Schaffhausen and the Count of Kyburg.
Another owner, Hans Wilhelm von Fulach, sold the castle to the town of Zurich in 1544.
The castle belongs to the canton of Zurich and is a modern tourist destination nowadays. (Source and further information: www.schlosslaufen.ch).