The St. Alban Church
24 May 2019
The valley near Basel was already inhabited by fishermen, boatmen and traders before the arrival of the Romans.
The water mills were introduced by the Romans. The first church dates from the fifth century when Basel was the residence of the bishop.
Burkhard von Hasenburg (1040-1107), bishop of Basel, founded the monastery of St. Alban in 1083. The powerful abbey of Cluny administered the monastery.
The monastery was rebuilt in 1304 in the Gothic style, but in 1356 (earthquake) and 1417 (fire) the monastery was destroyed. The church remained intact, however.
The canton approved the restoration of the church in 1845. (Source: A. Meyer, Ursprung und Geschichte von St. Alban in Basel, Landquart, 1975).