The Mural of Montcherand
26 August 2019
The Romanesque church of Montcherand was built in the eleventh century and donated to the monastery of Baulmes, eight kilometres from Montcherand. This monastery has disappeared, but written documents confirm its foundation in the 7th century and subordination to the abbey of Cluny before 1123.
The clergymen of Payerne and Baulmes had the same prior in 1356. He was also Lord of Montcherand.
The wall paintings in this church were repainted after the introduction of the Reformation in 1536. A photograph taken shortly after their discovery, in 1902, shows the original fragments.
The church is a national monument nowadays.
(Source and further information: K. Queijo, L’église Saint-Etienne de Montcherand, Montcherand, 2018).