Le Landeron Remains Catholic
23 January 2021
The Count of Neuchâtel founded the city of Le Landeron in 1325. In 1449, however, the city concluded an alliance with the city of Solothurn.
The Counts of Neuchâtel, the Prince-Bishopric of Basel and Bern were looking for influence in this area. The city found an the city of Solothurn.
There was a fierce religious dispute between Bern and Solothurn after 1530. Bern tried to introduce the protestant faith Le Landeron, but the Catholic population rejected the new faith, supported by the Catholic city of Solothurn. The city remained Catholic when Neuchâtel changed faith in 1530.
When the protestant Prussian king took over the county of Neuchâtel in 1707, Solothurn lost its influence, but Le Landeron remained catholic, even after the city was assigned to the canton of Neuchâtel in 1803 and 1815.
This typical Swiss history is presented in the Museum l’Hôtel de Ville.