Johanneum in Neu St. Johann
2 May 2021
The Abbey of St. Johann in Alt St. Johann, founded around the middle of the 12th century, was hit by a severe fire on 8 February 1626.
The Abbot of St. Gall decided to rebuild the building and church about ten kilometres down the valley. In 1629, the construction and a year later, most of the interior of the new priory building were completed, but the church was not finished until 1680.
The site of the new priory took the place name Neu St. Johann. The monastery was abolished in 1805. The building houses the Johanneum, an institute for people with mental or learning disabilities.