Cornaux and the Celtique Bridge
29 June 2021
Cornaux (canton of Neuchâtel) has been a well-known site for archaeologists since 1965.
During the second correction of the lakes and rivers in the Jura (Juragewässerkorrektion 1962-1973), a wooden bridge over the Zihl from the 2nd and 1st century BC was discovered between the lakes of Neuchâtel and Biel. The first correction took place between 1868 and 1891.
The bridge was 90 metres long and rested on seven pillars, consisting of three posts and two side supports. On top of these were beams and round bars from the late Latène period. Dendrochronologically, it was possible to determine that the oak wood was from 116 BC.
A farming community already existed in Cornaux at the beginning of the 13th century, but it was not until the 15th century that it was formed into a municipality. Until 1848, the village belonged to the châtellenie Thielle.
The political municipality exists since 1869. The Romanesque church of Saint-Pierre has been documented since 1228 and belonged to the deanery of Solothurn (diocese of Lausanne).
(Source: Dictionnaire historique de la Suisse, Cornaux, www:hls-dhs-dss.ch/fr/articles/002847/2006-09-12).