17 December 2020
The moated palace (Weiherschloss) in Bottmingen (Canton of Basel-Landschaft) was built in the second half of the 13th century.
It is the only remaining moated palace in the Leimen Valley (Leimental). Weiher means Water (Wasser) in the local German dialect.
The Palatine nobleman Johann von der Grün (1603-1666) built the palace in 1645 in the style of early German Baroque.
In 1720, the new owner Johannes Deucher (1673-1747) transformed the castle into a French Baroque country estate.
The new owner Martin Wenk (1751-1830) decorated the Stone Hall (Steinsaal) with the magnificent Rococo stucco work. The Oswalds, bankers from Basel, created the English Garden in the 19th century. Since 1957, the castle belongs to the canton of Basel-Landschaft. The palace houses a restaurant nowadays.
(Source and further information: www.weiherschloss.ch).