Wagenhausen, Propsteikirche. Foto/Photo: TES.

Provostry of Wagenhausen

The provost (Propsteikirche) in Wagenhausen (Thurgau Canton) is a former monastery on the banks of the Rhine, founded by Tuoto of Wagenhausen in 1083.

The church is a three-aisled Romanesque basilica in the Lombard style. The northern side aisle was demolished around 1600.

The frescoes on the triumphal arch are from the 13th century. The frescoes of Saint Agatha (north wall), Saint Sebastian (choir), Saint Anthony and Benedict (side aisle) were painted after 1500. The baptismal font is from 1512. The pulpit from the 17th century.

The bell tower has three bells: a Maria bell from 1291, a large bell from 1514 and a small bell from 1953. The “Mariaglocke” is the oldest working bell in Switzerland and is as old as the Swiss Confederation.

In 1525 the provostry was abolished. It has been a Protestant church since 1529. Today, it is also used for cultural and residential purposes.

(Source: www.thurgau-bodensee.ch).