8 July 2019
The village Champvent (canton of Vaud) was first mentioned in 1011.
The castle is a typical ‘Carré Savoyard’, quadrangular with high walls, flanked by round towers on each corner and built in the thirteenth century. Similar castles still exist in Yverdon-les-Bains, Grandson and Morges.
The Lords of Champvent and Grandson and the Counts of Neuchâtel were among the owners. A local family was the owner at the time of the Burgundian wars (1474-1477) and an ally of the Duke of Burgundy Charles the Bold.
The castle was destroyed by confederal troops in 1476, but soon afterwards restored.
The castle is a national heritage site nowadays. (Source: C. Dey, Champvent. L’histoire de ses 1 000 ans, Morges, 2011).