The Kannenfeldpark in Basel
26 June 2020
Amadeus Merian (1808-1889) redesigned the then-largest cemetery in Basel between 1867 and 1868 in the style of an English park. The Kannenfeld has been a cemetery from 1855 onwards. With the opening of the central cemetery Hörnli on the right bank of the Rhine in 1932, the cemetery on the Kannenfeld lost its function and was finally closed to make way for the largest park in Basel. The Kannenfeld park covers an area of almost nine hectares. The beautiful park owes its name to the former inn Zur Kanne.