Mellingen. Foto/Photo: TES

The Bridges of Mellingen

The medieval town of Mellingen (Canton of Aargau) is located on the left bank of the Reuss. The village dates back to Alemannic times, but it was on the right bank for centuries. The counts of Lenzburg possessed the town in the High Middle Ages.

In the 11th century, they built a church on the left bank of the Reuss. Mellingen passed to the Kyburgs in the 12th century. Around 1230, the Kyburgers founded the town on the left bank and built a ring wall.

There has been a bridge across the river since 1253, and several new bridges have been built over the centuries. The last wooden bridge was built in 1794. The wooden bridge was replaced by an iron structure in 1928.

The Habsburgs, the rulers from 1273 onwards, granted city rights in 1296. In 1415 the Eidgenossen conquered Aargau. Mellingen became part of the county of Baden but retained its market rights, jurisdiction and political autonomy.

Catholic Mellingen was the scene of conflicts with the Reformed towns of Bern and Zurich and was occupied twelve times between 1528 and 1712.

After the Second Villmerger War in 1712, Mellingen was ruled by the reformed towns of Zurich, Bern and Glarus. The municipality belongs to the canton of Aargau today.