31 August 2021
Sargans Castle was built around 1100 by the Counts of Werdenberg-Sargans. The castle was gradually expanded.
The counts of Montfort inhabited the castle from the 13th to the 15th century. The last Count sold the county and castle to the Swiss Confederation in 1483.
The French invasion in 1798 ended the submission to the Eidgenossenschaft. The last bailiff left the castle in 1798. The new canton of St. Gallen became the owner of the castle in 1803.