Parish Church St. Martin Cressier
3 November 2020
The old parish church of St. Martin in the municipality of Cressier (canton Neuchâtel) is situated next to Jeanjaquet Castle, or rather the other way around.
The fundaments of the church go back to the sixth and seventh centuries and the Roman era. Spolia (materials) from an old Roman temple have been used and a Roman temple is the predecessor of the church. The Romans left the region at the beginning of the fifth century.
Aventicum (Avenches) was the first bishopric of this region in the fifth and six centuries, Lausanne became the new episcop al city in the sixth century.
In 1180, the bishop of Lausanne donated the church, its vineyards, forests, fishing grounds and meadows to the abbey of Fontaine-André (à Neuchâtel-La Coudre).
Shortly afterwards, the Romanesque tower and the nave were rebuilt. They still exist. The choir was built in 1424.
After the construction of the new church of St. Martin in Cressier, Lord Jean Jaquet bought and renovated the church in 1872..