Neu-Bechburg Castle (see also under Local History) is located above the town of Oensingen (canton of Solothurn) on a trade route that was already important in Roman times.
The castle was built in the second half of the thirteenth century by the Freiherren of Bechburg. After that, its owners changed according to the fate of the dynasties, including the Counts of Froburg, Nidau and Kiburg.
In 1415 Bern bought the castle and donated it to Solothurn the same year. Solothurn was Bern’s ally at the conquest of Aargau from the Habsburgs in 1415.
The castle was one of the rewards. After the French invasion in 1798, the castle came into private ownership and its use changed several times.
The Neu-Bechburg foundation manages and maintaines the castle since 1975 (www.neu-bechburg.ch).