The village of Tiefencastel (Tüffenkasten in the Middle Ages) lies at the foot of the Albula Pass and the Julier Pass. A castle stood on the hill in Roman times, hence the name. The village was part of the jurisdiction of Oberhalbstein in the Gotteshausbund (founded in 1367).

The church of St. Stefan was extended in 1343, rebuilt by Capuchins in 1650, and furnished with important wood carvings and paintings.

Tiefencastel became a traffic hub due to the stagecoach (1835) and the railway (1900) and the traffic over the Julier Pass and the Septimer Pass

(Source: Historisches Lexicon der Schweiz, G. Thöni (12.02.2016), Tiefencastel (hls-dhs-dss.ch).