Meltingen and Maria im Hag
6 August 2021
Meltingen has been part of the territory of the canton of Solothurn for centuries. The village belonged to the lordship of Castle Gilgenberg, a Höhenburg, in the nearby municipality of Zullwil.
The pilgrimage church “Maria im Hag” stands about 40 m above the village. The church was mentioned in documents as early as 1375. The first chapel in this location was much older. The present church was donated in 1519 by Hans Imer von Gilgenberg, together with the stained glass windows.
Worth seeing are the statue of Grace from the 14th century, the glass paintings of the Knight of Gilgenberg and his wife and the two Saints Catherine and Agatha, the stone cross from 1638, the precious Pietà from 1540 and the statue of St. John from 1440.