John the Baptist Church Grandson
The church (Eglise Saint-Jean-Baptiste) is a treasure and jewel of Romanesque art and belongs to the national heritage. The architecture reflects the different phases of construction and transformation that have followed each other over nine centuries of history. However, the Romanesque structure, beautiful sculptures and frescoes are largely preserved. In 1178, the Benedictine monastery was handed over to the monks of the Chaise-Dieu from Auvergne, and a bell tower and a dome were built, in the Romanesque style of the Auvergne. At the end of the 13th century, the choir was rebuilt in the Gothic style, and the north chapel was added. During the reformation in 1554, the monastery was dissolved, and the church lost its Catholic function. In the 18th and 19th centuries, the west facade was rebuilt entirely (Source and further: information at www.vd.ch).