Imperial Residence Jegenstorf
2 August 2019
The history of the castle goes back to the Von Jegistorf family. The name appears of for the first time in 1175.
The Bernese families Von Erlach, Von Bonstetten and Von Wattenwyl were the new owners after the fourteenth century.
They rebuilt the castle in the sixteenth and eighteenth centuries. The castle is owned by a foundation nowadays.
The castle was the headquarters of General Henri Guisan (1874-1960), commander-in-chief of the Swiss army.
Emperor Haile Selassie (1892-1975) spent the night in the castle in 1954, which is called imperial residence ever since. (Further information: www.schloss-jegenstorf.ch).