Cultural Monastery Altdorf
2 August 2019
The Monastery of All Saints (Aller Heiligen) was built in 1581 by the Order of the Capuchins.
The monastery was the first settlement of the Capuchins north of the Alps in 1581, followed by the monasteries in the Catholic cantons of Unterwalden Schwyz, Lucerne, Solothurn and Appenzell, in response to the Reformation, which had been successful in the surrounding cantons.
The Capuchins remained more than four centuries in the monastery. They left in 2009.
The monastery is a cultural centre nowadays, Kulturkloster Altdorf (Further information: https://kulturkloster.ch).