Capuchin monastery in Sion
23 June 2021
The Capuchin monastery in Sion is the only building in Canton Valais from the 20th century that has been classified as a cultural object of national importance.
In 1631, the Capuchins settled in Sion and began construction of the building. The church was consecrated in 1643 by Bishop Adrien III de Riedmatten (1610-1646).
More than 400 years later, the architect Mirco Ravanne (1928-1991) renovated and enlarged the building.
This intervention contrasts with the basic structures of the ancient building. The interior has also been changed. The whole forms a beautiful unity with centre of this episcopal city.
(Source and more information: www.bourgeoisie-de-sion.ch)