St. Mauritius of Appenzell
22 July 2021
The first church of St. Mauritius in Appenzell (Canton of Appenzell Innerrhoden) was probably built around 1068-1071. The second church was built in the same place around 1291-1300.
From 1488-1513, the third church was built with the lower church and the mighty tower, and the late Gothic choir still standing today. The nave was completely renewed in 1826. In 1890-1892, the interior was radically rebuilt, followed by an external renovation in 1917.
The last major renovation of the interior took place in 1969-1971. The exterior of the church was restored in 1995/1996.