The St. Niklaus Chapel in Willisau
11 November 2021
The Counts of Habsburg built the castle of Alt-Willisau in the 12th century. The castle was destroyed in 1386 during the Sempach war (Sempacherkrieg). Only the Romanesque chapel survived.
The chapel was renovated in 1655 in the Baroque style. The chapel is primarily known for its frescoes from 1497-1660 and its bronze tower clock from the 12th century.
(Bron: A. Häfliger, Die Kapelle St. Niklaus auf dem Berg in Willisau, Willisau, 2003).