Zermatt and the Matterhorn
11 December 2021
The history of Zermatt dates back to the 13th century. In 1280, the village was mentioned for the first time in a charter under the name “Pratobornum”.
The first German name was mentioned in documents from 1495 and 1544. The German names were “zer mat”, “zer Mat”, or “zur Matt”. “Zermatt” was the name in the 19th century.
In the 13th century, Zermatt was under the sovereignty of the bishop of Sitten (Sion). One hundred fifteen families united to establish the first community on 25 January 1540.
France annexed the entire territory of today’s canton of Valais in 1810. In 1814 Valais gained its freedom as a republic and was able to join the Confederation in 1815.
And then came tourism. The Matterhorn was already there.
The Matterhorn. Viewpoint the Aletsch Glacier
SBB Basel, 23 november 2022