Landvogteischloss and Wooden Bridge Baden
21 October 2021
The castle was built in the first half of the 13th century as the seat of the Knights of Baden (kanton Aargau).
It was expanded at the beginning of the 14th century. They added the stepped gable and the fresco with the coats of arms of the eight old Orte (cantons) of the Confederation in 1490.
The stair tower with the late Renaissance portal dates from 1580, and the northeastern wing from 1734. The castle, schloss (hence the name), was the seat of the bailiff (Landvogt) of the Confederacy from 1415-1798 and has been the Historical Museum of the City of Baden since 1913.
The covered wooden bridge was first documented in 1242. Until 1766 it was the only bridge between Zurich and the mouth of the Limmat near Gebenstorf.