The village of Lüscherz
19 June 2021
The village of Lüscherz (canton of Bern) is one of the most important places of pile dwellings in Switzerland.
The village is mentioned for the first time in a document from 1271. The knights of Biel donated the vineyards “next to the path leading to the lake” to the Frauenkappelen monastery. Until the reformation, the village belonged to the parish of Vinelz.
Lüscherz was traditionally a fishing village. The fishermen mainly supplied the fish market in Bern. They daily transported fish to the town. Nowadays, there are only a few professional fishermen left.
It was only after the first correction of the waters of the Jura (the Juragewässerkorrektion, 1868-1891) that the marshes became drained and fertile and the switch to agriculture began.
Viticulture was another important activity. It is already mentioned in the charter of 1271. Today, fruit-farming has taken over this role.
(Source and further information: www.luescherz.ch).