Local History

The Prieuré of Cormondrèche. Photo/Bild: TES.

Corcelles-Cormondrèche

The villages Corcelles and Cormondrèche (canton of Neuchâtel) merged in 1889.

The two villages counted 560 inhabitants in 1750 and more than 4700 nowadays. Even the plague in 1629 (160 deaths out of 500 inhabitants) did not slow down the growth of the population in the longer term.

Before the industrialization of the 19th century, the economy was mainly based on wine and agriculture.

The Prieuré of Cormondrèche is a beautiful heritage from the 16th century. The building still houses the famous wine cellars. The Prieuré, therefore, has no religious meaning, contrary to the similar name in Corcelles.

The Prieuré (Priory) of Corcelles (Curcellis in the Middle Ages) was a medieval Romanesque. The church was offered to the Abbey of Cluny to found a monastery dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul in 1092.

Corcelles is part of the cultural itinerary of the network of Cluny sites nowadays (L’itinéraire Culturel du réseau des sites clunisiens).

The municipality of two medieval villages has a story to tell. (Source and further information: (www.corcelles-cormondreche.ch).