The Priory of Corcelles
The Priory of Corcelles was founded in 1092 in an existing church donated to Cluny Abbey. The church, which became a temple during the Reformation, is today considered a national monument. In 2007, Corcelles joined the network of Clunisian sites (www.clunypedia.com/sites/suisse/corcelles-cormondreche).
The history of Corcelles (canton of Neuchâtel) begins with the words in a charter: “In the year 1092, a certain Humbert founded the Priory of Corcelles”. With this founding act, the name Corcelles becomes part of the written history. Humbert made the pilgrimage to Cluny, where he had contact with the famous Abbot Hugues (1049-1109), who was one of those who had successfully led the Order of Cluny.
Humbert returned to Corcelles and decided to dedicate the church and its outbuildings to God and his apostles Peter and Paul and hand them over to Cluny. The monks of Cluny moved into the monastery until the Reformation in 1530/1531. The parish of Corcelles was part of the diocese of Lausanne and the deanery of Neuchâtel.
The current church is about 26 meters long, with a 25 meters high tower with spire. Two chapels, one from the 15th century and the other from the 20th century, give the building the shape of a cross. Various restorations and additions have determined the current appearance of the church over the centuries. (Source: Ann Robert, 900 years of history of the parish of Corcelles-Cormondrèche: 1092 – 1992. Corcelles, 1992).