8 December 2021
The Cistercian Monastery of Wettingen (Canton of Aargau) was founded in 1227. The Cistercian Order – named after the first foundation in Cîteaux (Burgundy) – built its monasteries in the isolation of nature to be economically independent through farming. The location on the Limmat peninsula in Wettingen was ideal for this reason.
The monastery was inaugurated in 1256. The monastery came under the authority of the Confederation in 1415 with the conquest of Aargau. The fire of 1507 destroyed the monastery. The reconstruction was completed in 1517.
The monastery experienced a heyday between 1594 and 1633 when the abbot ordered numerous structural changes and extensions, which give the monastery great cultural and historical significance today.
The monastic community withstood the French period 1798-1813 well. However, discussions about the position of monasteries in Aargau after 1813 led to the dissolution of all monasteries in 1841.
The monks from Wettingen moved to Mehrerau near Bregenz (Austria), where the Cistercian community is still present.
With almost 800 years of history, the gardens are a cultural monument of the first order. Since 1227, vegetables, medicinal herbs, fruit, wine and ornamental plants have been cultivated.
The monastery park, modelled on the English style, and the various gardens kept their historical design.
(Source and further information: www.klosterwettingen.ch).