Period II

Waltensburg Church

The church in Waltensburg or Vuorz in Romansch was built in the 12th century, renovated and extended, including the extension of the choir arch and vaults, late-Gothic alterations and a new nave vault and gallery in 1711. The frescoes on the interior walls and on the exterior construction are from four periods. The oldest paintings (around 1330) were made by an artist known as the Waltensburger Master, who decorated churches and at least one secular building (Brandis castle in Maienfeld) in Grisons in a circumference of about 70 km. Frescoes in the Chapel of St. Mary Magdalene in Paspels, the churches of St. George (Sogn Gieri) and St. Paul (Sogn Paul) in Rhäzuns, the Cathedral of Chur and religious buildings in Clugin, Casti, Zillis, Lüen and Luziensteig are attributed to him. Today this painter is considered one of the most remarkable artists from the High Gothic north of Lombardy, although nothing is known about him. (Source: H. F. Rupp (Red.), Der Waltensburger Meister in seiner Zeit, Chur, 2015).