7 April 2022
Waldegg Castle is situated on a hill at the foot of the Jura, in the middle of the baroque town of Solothurn. Johann Viktor von Besenval (1638-1713) from Solothurn had the baroque house erected as his summer residence between 1682 and 1686.
Today Waldegg Castle is owned by the Canton of Solothurn. Since 1991, the monument of national importance has been open to the public as a museum and meeting centre.
Museum Waldegg Castle dedicates its permanent exhibition to a core theme of Solothurn’s history: From the 16th to the end of the 18th century, the envoys of the French kings resided in Solothurn and brought courtly splendour, savoir-vivre and a great deal of money. The exhibition highlights the social and economic importance of the French ambassadors for the local patrician families and the city of Solothurn.
With its richly decorated salons, the extensive collection of magnificent paintings and the original furniture, the museum illustrates the French lifestyle of the Solothurn patricians. Further highlights on the tour include the two castle chapels and a historic bathtub in the gardener’s house.
The various gardens are what make Waldegg Castle so special. On the representative south side of the house lies the Baroque garden. To the west lies the orangery parterre. On the north-western side of the house, there is a traditional kitchen garden with flowers and vegetables.
(Source and further information: www.dieschweizerschloesser.ch)