The St. Alban Canal in Basel
3 March 2021
Bishop Burkhard von Fenis (1040-1107) founded the city’s first monastery in the St. Alban Valley (St. Albantal) in 1083.
The monks built mills next to the monastery. The water from a branch of the Birs was redirected at the mills. The St. Albanteich (Dalbedyych in the local Basler dialect) was created.
For centuries it remained one of the most important providers of energy in Basel. This energy did drive dozens of mill wheels.
The canal was also used as a waterway along which most of the timber was rafted into the city.