The Basler Reading Society (Die Basler Lesegesellschaft) was founded on 26 October 1787. It has over a thousand members from home and abroad today.
The reading rooms are open to members every day of the year. The library’s extensive collection is also available to members.
The building stands just a few metres from the cathedral. The building, which once served the canons of the diocese, was purchased in 1830.
Some of the building’s structures date back to the 16th century, such as the vaulted cellar, which the Basel Marionette Theatre uses today, the former meeting room of the canons or the late-Gothic bay window on the sidewall of the large reading room
The view of the chestnut trees, the Rhine and the mountain ranges of Alsace, South Baden and Switzerland accompanies the readers.City: Basel