Twann or Douanne
11 March 2021
The Twannbach gave the village Twann (Douanne in French, canton Bern) its name. A document from the year 1136 mentions “Duana” for the first time.
In the 13th century, the ecclesiastical rights passed to the Johanniterhaus in Münchenbuchsee (near Bern). The Johanniterhaus or Buchseehaus still stands today opposite St. Martin’s Church.
Bern gained more and more influence and, in 1388, obtained the high jurisdiction and the rights to use the Nidauer Lake (the Bielersee or lac de Bienne), named after the county of Nidau.
Twann becomes part of Bern in 1487. The St. Martin church became Protestant in 1528. In 1765 St. Peter’s Island became part of the municipality of Twann, shortly after Jacques Rousseau was expelled from the island by Bern.
The construction of the Twann-Neuenstadt road (La Neuveville) and the railway (1859-1860) were important steps for further economic development.
The level of the lake dropped by an average of 2 metres 20 due to the first correction of the waters of the Jura (Juragewässerkorrektion 1868-1878). This lowering made further building activities possible.
Viticulture has been the most important sector for centuries. The many wine cellars in the streets and the vineyards in the surrounding area bear witness to this activity.