2 July 2021
The castle was built in 1559 by Blaise Junod, tax collector of the Seigneurie of Valangin.
At that time, the county of Neuchâtel belonged to the (royal) French family d’Orléans-Longueville. The county was therefore a principality.
It is not surprising that the new owner Jean-Jacques Tribolet, served in the army of Henri de Navarre, the later Henri IV, king of France.
His successor, Pierre Chambrier, Councillor of State of the County of Neuchâtel, expanded the castle after 1603. The entrance gate dates back to 1740.
Wine growing was the main economic activity of the estate, which is still in private ownership today.
The lords of the castle had an impressive record of military service: for the French King, Savoy and the Republic of the Seven United Provinces, governor of the principality of Neuchâtel, chamberlains of the King of Prussia (Prince of Neuchâtel from 1707 to 1857), friends of Jean-Jacques Rousseau and councils of state of the principality.