The Bridge of Aarberg
10 September 2020
There was only one river crossing between Bern and Büren an der Aare in the twelfth century: in Aarberg. The Count of Neuchâtel built a castle near this bridge around 1140. The city was founded afterwards, in 1220.
Town Hall (Amtshaus)
The new bridge was built in 1568. The Aare was diverted during the first water correction of the Three Lakes Area (the so-called Juragewässerkorrektion 1868-1891). From 1891 onwards, however, the Aare became a small river, the so-called Old Aare (die Alte Aare). The bridge shows the width of the river before the correction.
(Source and further information: www.aarberg.ch).