23 February 2021
The city of La Neuveville (canton of Bern) is part of the (French-speaking) Jura and the administrative region of Jura bernois.
La Blanche Eglise, built in the Carolingian period, was first mentioned in 866 and was owned by the abbey of Moutier-Grandval, after 1141 by the abbey of Bellelay.
The Prince-Bishopric of Basel founded the city of La Neuveville (Neuenstadt in German) around 1320.
The city had 800 inhabitants in 1700, but was a refuge of thousands of Huguenots after the revocation of the Edict of Nantes by Louis XIV (1685).
La Neuveville adopted the Protestant faith in 1530 but remained part of the Prince-Bishopric Basel until 1798.
France annexed the southern part of this Prince-Bishopric in 1798, after it had already added the northern part of the Prince-Bishopric to the department of Mont-Terrible in 1792 and the new department of Haut-Rhin after 1800.
La Neuveville was assigned to the canton of Bern in 1813.