The Monastery of Mollens and Cluny

The small monastery in Mollens (canton of Vaud) was added to Romainmôtier, a monastery of Cluny, in 1137. The monks of Romainmôtier administered the domain of this monastery for almost two centuries.

The lords of Aubonne then owned the village until the 16th century. From 1536 and the conquest of Le Pays de Vaud, Bern ruled the village.  In 1791, Nicolas-Alexandre de Watteville, guardian of Aigle (canton of Vaud), built the castle of Mollens.

The castle is still privately owned today, albeit by a different family. In April 1798, a fire destroyed 48 houses and the monastery. The church was rebuilt several decades later.