The Priory of Pully
10 February 2021
Pully’s wine-growing tradition flourished in the Middle Ages. The best grapes grew on the domain of the priory (Le Prieuré).
The Cluniac abbey of Payerne owned the priory. The kings of Burgundy (Kingdom of Burgundy 888-1032) donated the priory to Payerne Abbey in the 10th century. The kings were crowned in Payerne.
The area has been cultivated for over two thousand years. Initially, a large Roman villa existed (the Roman Museum in Pully provides further details).
The first wooden church dates back to the time of the Merovingians (6th or 7th century). In the 9th century, a stone Carolingian church was built.
In the 13th century, the church was enlarged and rebuilt in the Gothic style. The church became a Protestant temple after the conquest of the Pays de Vaud by Bern in 1536.
The temple underwent several renovations and restorations afterwards, the last one in 2001 after a fire. Today, the priory is a restaurant.
