Ergolz nature reserve
20 September 2021
The nature reserve is on the right side of the Ergolz River estuary in Kaiseraugst. A factory stood in this area from 1843 to 1909. The factory was demolished in 1909 because it was located in the newly built Augst-Wyhlen hydroelectric power plant reservoir.
This lake was subsequently filled by the power station with river material from the Ergolz. Over time, nature conquered this area, and a floodplain was created.
In the 1980s, the municipality of Kaiseraugst designated this area as a nature protection area. In 1996, a beaver left its first marks on the trees in the nature reserve. The Ergolz area is also a favourite breeding ground for many species of water birds.