Vermagodunon becomes Bremgarten
30 January 2022
The town of Bremgarten (Canton of Aargau) was founded by the Habsburgs at the beginning of the 13th century. Two settlements and a castle already existed before this time.
The name Bremgarten is derived from the Celtic name vermagodunon, meaning “large fortified enclosure in the open field”.
The town experienced a cultural and economic boom in the 15th and 16th centuries. The monastery of St. Clare, the rule over the area in the Kellleramt, trade, commerce, the weekly market and the annual fairs shaped the cultural and economic wealth of the town.
When the Confederation conquered Aargau in 1415, Bremgarten became a subject town. However, it retained a large degree of political and judicial independence. In 1803, the town was assigned to the newly founded canton of Aargau.