Sent. Foto/Photo: TES.

Sent and its churches

The first mention of Sent (Lower Engadin/ Unterengadin, Canton of Graubünden) dates back to 930. The name then was ‘Sindes’, ‘Sinde’, ‘Sinnes’, or ‘Sins’. Sent has been the official name since 1879.

In 1572, the reformer and chronicler Durich Chiampell (1510-1582) mentioned more than 300 houses and around 1000 inhabitants, the largest village in the Engadin and just as many as there are today.

The Reformation also left its mark. Today, about 80% of the population is reformed. The village church San Lurench (St. Lorenzo), was built in 1496. The neo-Gothic tower replaced 1898 the Romanesque tower from 1250. The ruins of the church of San Peder (St. Peter) are a late Romanesque structure from 1173.

In 1499 and 1622, the Austrians destroyed the village. After the Bündner Wirren (1618-1639) of the Thirty Years’ War (1618-1648), Sent experienced a peaceful development (apart from fires in 1748, 1823, 1911 and 1921).

The village centre and the many beautiful Engadiner houses date from the reconstruction between 1622 and 1650. Only the Sala/la Motta district was completely rebuilt after 1921.

Romansh (Vallader) is the spoken language, but everyone also understands German. The hamlets of Sur, En, Crusch, Sinestra and Zuort also belong to Sent. In 2015, Ardez, Ftan, Guarda, Scuol, Sent, and Tarasp merged into Scuol, the largest municipality in Switzerland in terms of area.

(Source: www.sent.ch).

The ruine of San Peder Church.

The Sculpture Garden of Not Vital.