19 May 2021
The medieval building is perched high on a rock above Sion (canton Valais) and offers a beautiful view of the Rhone Valley and the Alps.
Around 1300, Bishop Boniface de Challant (1240-1308) built a castle on the hill. The castle served as a residence for the Bishop of Sion.
It was destroyed in 1417 during the Wars of Raron (1415-1419). The castle was rebuilt by Bishop William III (1407-1451). Destroyed again in 1788, the castle remained a ruin.
Within the walls, one gains an impression of the bishop’s former residence. Wall paintings from the 14th and 15th centuries in the chapel bear witness to this past. The chapel was built at the same time as the castle.