27 August 2022
Pratteln is the site of the oldest evidence of human presence on Swiss territory. The hand axe discovered in 1974 is at least 100,000 years old. The name Bratello was first mentioned in 1103. It can be traced back to the Latin word pratellum (small meadow).
The village dates back to a dinghof of the monastery of St. Alban and to the possession of the lords of Eptingen. In the 11th or 12th century, they built the first castle, which was destroyed in the earthquake of 1356. After the earthquake, they built the present castle in the village.
In 1384 and 1486, the village was destroyed by war. Basel acquired the village in 1525. Since 1833, Pratteln has belonged to the canton of Basel-Landschaft.
(Source and further information: www.pratteln.ch)