Allerheiligen Monastery Schaffhausen
5 December 2022
The Romanesque church of the Benedictine monastery of All Saints (Allerheiligen) in Schaffhausen was consecrated in 1103/1104, replacing the church consecrated in 1064 of the first complex of the monastery founded by Count Eberhard III of Nellenburg (1015-1078).
The church is a three-nave basilica with a transept in the style of the Hirsau building school. The church’s structure has remained unchanged in style to this day.
Since 1524 it has been a parish church, while the monastery was converted into a provostry. The Reformation came in 1529.
The narthex dates from 1857, replacing the 12th-century hall that reached up to the still-preserved pilasters. The last major renovation of the church was in 1950.
The well-preserved Romanesque tower is richly structured with round-arched friezes, girts and arched windows. The former monastery complex includes the cloister, the herb garden, the Old Abbey, the New Abbey, the library and the music school.
The Old Abbey, the monastery chapels and the Gothic refectory house the Museum zu Allerheiligen today.