The Castle of Monthey
16 February 2021
The De Monthéolo family governed the town of Monthey (canton of Valais) at the beginning of the 14th century. They (re) built the castle in the course of the 15th century.
The Republic of the Seven Tithings in the Upper Valais (Republik der Sieben Zenden, Oberwallis/République des Sept-Dizains, Haut-Valais) conquered the Lower Valais (Unterwallis/Bas-Valais) from the Dukes of Savoy in 1536.
The governors settled in the castle until the end of the Ancien Régime (1798). The castle became the property of the municipality in 1900.
The castle houses the Association Vieux-Monthey (Old-Monthey, www.vieux-monthey.ch), and the fondation (foundation) Zaza-Ortelli and its (audio) visual collection and documents of Monthey and the region.
The castle also hosts the weekly town council meetings and wedding ceremonies. (Source and more information: www.monthey.ch).