Britons in Château-d’Oex
From the end of the 19th century, Château-d’Oex became increasingly popular with English tourists. Most came over the Col de Jaman from Montreux, or by carriage from Bulle. The infrastructure soon improved and hotels, inns and pensions opened, some of them still exist (for example the Hôtel de l’ours, l’Hôtel de Ville, Résidence Rosat and the Clos des Abeilles at Villa d’Oex). The arrival of the Montreux-Oberland Bernois railway in 1904 opened the region of Pays-d’Enhaut to the world. The station from this time is a beautiful chalet Swiss style, so was the new wave of houses and holiday homes. The arrival of the railway not only accelerated the pace of development, and the building of more hotels to handle the growing demand, but also the Anglican Church, built in 1899, had to be extended by 1911, so popular was the destination these days, just before the outbreak of the Great War. Château-d’Oex is still a remarkable village in the magnificent Pays-d’Enhaut region. (Source and further information: www.chateau-doex.ch).