Baden and the Confederation
Baden, canton of Aargau, is an old spa and industrial town. Charles L. Brown (1863-1924) and Walter Boveri (1865-1924) founded the company Bown, Boveri & Cie (nowadays ABB), which illuminated the streets of the town with electric lanterns as early as the end of the 19th century. Baden was also the meeting place of the Swiss Confederation’s Congress (Tagsatzung) between 1415 and 1798. The envoys of the cantons of the Swiss Confederation met during this period to administer the jointly conquered areas (Untertanengebiete), including Aargau.
Aargau, a Habsburg dominion, was conquered in 1415 by Bern and other cantons. Zurich, Lucerne, Schwyz, Unterwalden, Glarus, Zug and Bern ruled instead of the Habsburg Lords after 1415. The area was administered by a bailiff (Landvogt). Aargau has been recognised as canton since 1803 under supervision of Napoleon.