Zuoz. Foto/Photo: TES.


Engadine was ruled by the Ostrogoths around 500. In 539, the Franks took over and for the centuries to come.

The first mention of Zuoz was in 843. The name Zuoz is probably related to suot (under) in Romans. The Bishop of Chur possessed numerous rights and estates in the Upper Engadin from the eleventh century onwards. Zuoz was the centre of his dominion in his region.

The Plantas were the most powerful and leading family. The Bishop of Chur had granted Andreas Planta the chancellorship in 1244. The San Luzi is mentioned in documents in 1139 as one of the leading churches in the Upper Engadine. The colossal tower in the village was the residence of the Plantas.