Kunstmuseum Chur. Photo: TES.

Villa Planta and Modernity

The Villa Planta is named after Jacques Ambrosius von Planta (1826-1901). The building was designed as a private residence by the architect Johannes Ludwig (1815-1888). The neoclassical building has a prestigious front façade decorated by its characteristic portico and pair of sphinxes flanking the staircase, Pompeian wall paintings, and gold paintwork in the Byzantine manner, referring to the owner’s occupation as a businessman in the Orient. The Villa has been the Museum of Fine Arts of Grisons since 1990. The Villa did not supply sufficient space for the continually growing collection and the number of exhibitions, however. Therefore, the demand for an extension building became acute. The new building side by side with the Villa conjoin to make one museum, to a certain extent similar to the new building of the Museum of Arts in Basel. The magnitude of the rooms of the building and its spatial structure is not a solitary landmark but enter into dialogue with the Villa. This concept has been a daring enterprise with a happy end, giving sufficient space for the Giacometti- and Angelika Kauffmann collections and the collections of Expressionism, Bündner Art, Contemporary Art, Works on Paper and Photography. (Source and further information: