Tschlin and surroundings
21 October 2020
Anyone entering the village of Tschlin (Canton of Graubünden) will come across the sign “Die schönsten Schweizer Dörfer”, the most beautiful Swiss villages.
The village is situated at an altitude of 1 550 in the middle of the terraced landscape of Lower Engadin (Unterengadin) with a view of the river Inn (En in the Romansh language), the National Park, mountains and forests.
The village is home to an excellent beer brewery and an active cultural centre (Somalgors 74).
The village has not always been on the lucky side of history, however. The region has been a battleground for a long time.
The village was destroyed several times in the fifteenth- and seventeenth centuries. Fires have also burned the village to ashes. The last major fire was in 1856.
Tschlin appears in documents in the twelfth century. The village forms the ‘Plan’ with surrounding hamlets nowadays:
San Niclà (and its Romanesque church), Strada (and the museum Stamparia), Chaflur. S-Chadatsch, Chasura, Chaflur, Sclamischot, Martina (the customs town), Vinadi (the former customs town) and Acla da Fans.
The Engadine houses, the Sgraffito, the many springs and the terraces justify the qualification of one of the most beautiful villages of the country.
(Source and further information: www.tschlin.ch).